BEVERLY FARMS LIBRARYBEVERLY, MASSACHUSETTS
Enormous care was taken to preserve and restore the Beverly Farms library built in 1916 while adding adequate space to meet current requirements. The restoration included the recreation using clay models and historic photographs of original terra cotta ornamentation that had been stripped from the building.
The project illustrates the possibilities for successfully and respectfully reinterpreting traditional architecture in a contemporary manner. The addition features a new metal cornice that reinterprets adjacent historical features and materials and massing that are appropriate to the historic building.